March Gardening Checklist
Depending on where you live, March can be a great opportunity to get busy in the garden.
• In Zones 3 to 6, start seeds for cool-weather vegetables indoors. Beets, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, parsley, peas, spinach, and Swiss chard are good cool-weather choices.
In Zone 7, plant seedlings in the ground.
• In Zones 8 and 9, plant seedlings of warm-season veggies such as beans, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, melons, okra, peppers, squash, and tomatoes.
See our Vegetable Pages for information on how to plant and grow 20 common crops.
• In Zones 2 to 7, sow seeds for frost-tolerant perennials indoors. Good choices are: pansies, coneflowers, violets, and snapdragons.
See our Flower Guide.
In Zones 8 and higher, plant heat-loving perennials. See best flowers to start indoors.
Not sure of your Hardiness Zone? Click here.
• Aged manure can be spread over the garden, especially on asparagus and rhubarb beds. If you have frozen ground, take advantage of it by trucking loads of manure out to the garden! See our Manure Guide.
• Keep plastic milk jugs or other coverings on hand to protect the flowers of pansies, crocuses, and other early bloomers against the return of severe weather.
See tips on how to start seeds indoors.
See the rest of our gardening jobs for March.
Grow real Easter grass in small containers this spring!
• About 3 weeks before Easter, fill small terra-cotta pots with potting soil, sprinkle with grass seeds, place in bright light, and keep watered.
The stormy March is come at last,
With wind, and cloud, and changing skies;
I hear the rushing of the blast
That through the snowy valley flies.
–William Cullen Bryant (1794–1878)
A Special Offer from The Old Farmer’s Almanac
Snow Melt Contest
We’ve had several feet of snow this winter here at The Old Farmer’s Almanac in Dublin, New Hampshire.
Tell us on what day you think the snow on our lawn will be completely melted. If you guess correctly, we’ll send you a bundle of Almanac products.
All entries must be received by March 18, 2010. Enter here!
Great Almanac Giveaway
Check out this month’s prize:
20 eco-friendly seed packets for you! AND, select 5 friends who will receive 10 packets each! Urban Farmer offers a large variety of vegetable, herb, and flower seeds for home gardens.