|Fresh ginger and pungent curry add big flavor to this one-pot meal
Recipe From EatingWell.com
|WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 mins
· 1 cup basmati rice
· 3 teaspoons canola oil
· 6 skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
· 2 cups onions, finely chopped, about 3 medium onions
· 5 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
· 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
· 1 tablespoon ground coriander
· 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), or to taste
· 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
· 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
· 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
· 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
· 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, optional
· lime wedges, for garnish
· salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F. Soak rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain.
Step 2: Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Step 3: Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and heat until hot. Add onions and cook, stirring, until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander and ground red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Step 4: Increase the heat to medium-high; stir in broth, chickpeas, tomatoes and the soaked and drained rice; bring to a simmer. Nestle the browned chicken pieces in the rice. Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Step 5: Remove the chicken pieces and stir peas into the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Set the chicken back on the rice, and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
Prep Time: 40 mins
Makes: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups each
· 294 Cals
· 18g Protein
· 419mg Sodium
Detailed Nutritional Information
· Calories 294
· Fat 7 g
· Saturated fat 1 g
· Mono Fat 3 g
· Cholesterol 37 mg
· Carbohydrates 40 g
· Dietary fiber 6 g
· Protein 18 g
· Sodium 419 mg
· Potassium 423 mg
* Nutritional Guidelines based on the USDA’s MyPlate Standards.
|© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com